Our home adaptations service explained
We aim to help our elderly and disabled residents to live more independently for longer.
What adaptations do we provide?
We provide two types of adaptations, minor and major.
Minor adaptations are smaller works that typically cost less than £1500, this includes:
- Lever taps
- Small ramps
- Over bath showers
- Lowering of light switches.
Major adaptations are bigger works that typically cost more than £1500, this includes:
- Level access showers
- Additional toilet facilities
- Lifts and access improvements.
How does the process work?
- You will usually be required to provide a letter from your doctor, hospital, occupational therapist, or similar giving details of the work you need done.
- Once this request has been accepted, a builder will carry out the work.
- Contact Social Services who will assess your needs.
- Social Services will then contact us.
- Our surveyor will visit you with the occupational therapist to consider the proposals.
- Plans will be drawn up, building regulations approval sought (if necessary) and the work sent for pricing.
- The money for work will be provided through a grant application and once this has been agreed a builder will carry out the work.
Who will pay for the adaptation?
Minor adaptations – We will pay for these.
Major adaptations – These are funded through grants. The main grant, the Disabled Facilities Grant, is means tested. Your local council will look at your income and savings and assess how much, if anything, you will have to pay. Grant assessment forms, which will give you an idea of how much you may have to pay, are available from your local council.
How long do adaptations take?
Minor adaptations are smaller works and usually take just a few weeks. Major adaptations will take longer, depending on available funds to complete the works and the length of the waiting list.
What happens during the adaptations?
Work outside your home is usually quicker and less disruptive than inside. Work inside your home may cause more disruptions, for example temporary loss of your toilet, bath etc. Electricity and water supplies may have to be turned off too. Work may take up to 2 weeks, but it will be supervised throughout.
Interested in finding out more?
If you’d like to find out more about our adaptations service, then please call us on 01892 501480 or email us at email@example.com