About the role
We're looking for a Surveyor to join our busy team! The role is to provide a proactive and customer-focussed surveying service in the West Kent area and to keep residents safe in their homes. You will need to effectively manage a range of contractors and promote a safety culture internally and externally.
Hours of Work:
12 month Fixed Term Contract
Who are we?
Town and Country Housing are a housing association that covers Kent and Sussex, with our head office in Tunbridge Wells. We provide more than 10,000 homes in 15 local authority areas and became a subsidiary of the Peabody Group in 2019. We currently have over 300 employees based at various locations across Kent and promote hybrid working.
Meet your Manager
"I have worked for TCH since 2016 and have had various roles, now as Repairs and Maintenance Manager. I am responsible for a team of surveyors as well as managing our Joint Venture, TCH Repairs. In my spare time I enjoy playing squash, going to the gym as well as going to concerts."
Daniel Bott - Repairs and Maintenance Manager
What will you be doing?
Role Specific Responsibilities
- Carry out general surveying duties including inspections of occupied and void properties. Undertake defect diagnosis and take appropriate action(s), including from time to time working in difficult and/or unpleasant environments. Draw up specifications of work and instruct contractors.
- Work with residents and contractors to resolve the underlying causes of damp, mould and condensation. Follow up to ensure a lasting solution is in place.
- Provide an effective contract management service, including chairing meetings. Understand and use a range of contract management tools and play your part in ensuring KPIs and other measures are met.
- Deal with legal disrepair and or Fitness for Human Habituation claims from beginning to end and covering all aspects of the claim, including attending Court if required.
- Provide an effective response to complaints from stakeholders and ensure issues are resolved satisfactorily with clear communication throughout.
- Deliver an effective customer-focussed technical service, ensuring residents receive excellent standards of customer care.
- Provide technical direction and support to a range of internal and external stakeholders, including contractors, staff, residents, external agencies.
- Participate in customer engagement and feedback with a view to continuous improvement.
- Promote collaborative working with other departments/staff/outside agencies as appropriate.
- Ensure that all works are within budget and completed within agreed timescales.
- Be available out of hours on a rota basis to deal with enquiries when contracted by the out of hours company.
- To adhere to the equal opportunities policy and to actively promote equality of opportunity wherever possible.
- Recognise, respect and promote the different roles and diversity of the individuals within the business.
- To actively contribute towards key performance indicators and professional standards.
- Work in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and Data Protection Law and be responsible for the integrity of personal information you process. This may include identifying anomalies in data and investigating and correcting them where appropriate. Ensure you attend training on data protection regularly.
- To be responsible for your own health and safety and that of your colleagues, in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and relevant EC directives.
- To take responsibility for your own development and professionalism, ensuring that you keep up to date with new developments and continuously expand and build on your knowledge.
- Attend and participate in training and other meetings and staff events as required.
- Be an effective member of your team, presenting a positive impression of your section and the business.
- This job description is a guide to the nature of the work required. It is not comprehensive and it is expected that other duties will be undertaken as this role develops and as may be reasonably expected.
- This role requires the individual to travel to various sites across our housing stock and it is expected that an individual in this role has a full driving licence and access to a car with relevant insurance.
Education & Qualifications
- Evidence of a good educational standard, including GCSE English (Desirable).
- Recognised qualification such as BTEC in Building construction, or relevant experience in building maintenance.
- Recognised health and safety qualification (Desirable).
- At least five years working in a housing and technical environment (Desirable).
Key Skills & Competencies
- Strong customer service skills.
- Good written and verbal skills.
- Ability to analyse and manage information.
- Proficient IT skills.
- Good planning and organising skills.
- Good numerical and analytical skills (Desirable).
- Self starter.
- A valid driving licence.
- Commitment to valuing diversity and equality of opportunity.
Why Choose Us
- Contributory pension scheme 4% to 10% matched contributions
- Hybrid working
- Free onsite car parking
- Life assurance of 4x annual salary (Terms and Conditions apply)
- 30 days annual leave in addition to bank holidays
- Two volunteer days per year
- Employee assistance programme (24/7 telephone advice, information portal & face to face counselling sessions)
- Corporate eye care scheme providing free eye tests and free VDU glasses or contribution towards VDU glasses
- Extensive annual Staff Wellbeing programme
- Enhanced maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave provision
- Flexible annual benefits (for dental, healthcare, shopping vouchers, technology etc.)
- Annual flu vaccinations
- Access to an extensive range of corporate discounts on shopping, travel & days out
- Social events, including lunchtime walking, rounders, festive Fridays
- Travel loan
Our culture is about the shared values, beliefs and behaviours that determine how we do things, then the ways and systems of working that help to get those things done.
Our new values, principles and behaviours will put customers at the heart and provide the foundation for the culture of the new organisation. Only by delivering a cohesive and customer-focused culture will we be able to achieve our purpose and priorites.
We have taken an inclusive and collaborative approach to developing the following values, working together with colleagues, customers and the Board:
Equal Opportunities Statement
TCH is an equal opportunities employer committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity or paternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, marriage and civil partnership, or caring responsibilities.
We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join TCH.
We are recognised as a ‘Disability Confident Committed Employer’. As part of this commitment, individuals who disclose at application stage that they have a disability, will be invited to interview provided they demonstrate that they meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy. Candidates will be asked if they require any support or reasonable adjustments to enable them to fully participate in the recruitment process.
Please send a letter clearly demonstrating how your skills and experience meet the criteria contained on the job description and person specification to the HR inbox.
Please complete our online application form by clicking the Apply button below. We reserve the right to bring the closing date forward, so we strongly encourage early applications.
Monday, 11 March 2024