Make a complaint

We always want to provide you with the best possible service, but there may be times when things go wrong, and you want to complain. When a customer complains we always aim to treat the complaint seriously and investigate it fairly.

At the bottom of this page you can find links to our complaints policy and procedure, our self-assessment form and the Housing Ombudsman's complaints handling code.

What is a complaint?

A complaint is when a customer is unhappy with our service and asks us to put it right. Examples of complaints are:

  • Lack of action in response to a request for service
  • Poor quality service
  • The behaviour of TCH staff or contractors working on behalf of TCH
  • Failure to follow an approved TCH policy or procedure

What is not a complaint?

Complaints are issues with the services we provide. A problem we haven't previously been made aware of is not considered a complaint. Example of issues we don't treat as complaints are:

  • An initial request for service, such as the first request for a repair
  • An initial request for information or an explanation
  • A report of anti-social behaviour (ASB) as they are dealt under our separate ASB policy and procedure

We are also unable to accept complaints about anything that occurred more than 12 months ago and has not been brought to our attention before.

How to make a complaint

Complaints can be made in the following ways:

  • Via our customer portal, MyHomeOnline 
  • Using our complaints form
  • Emailing
  • Via web chat, which can be found at the bottom right of our website
  • Calling our Customer Service team on 01892 501480
  • Writing to us at Town & Country Housing. Monson House, Monson Way, Tunbridge Wells Kent TN1 1LQ

Please let us know if you need help to make your complaint, or you can also contact the local Citizens Advice Bureau. To find your local Citizens Advice Bureau call 020 7833 2181 or visit citizens

What to expect if making a complaint

Stage 1: Your complaint will be logged and acknowledged within five working days of receipt, and we will contact you to discuss your complaint and understand the problem.

We aim to resolve complaints within 10 working days of acknowledging your complaint, but sometimes investigations can take longer. In this case we'll let you know, keep you updated and agree a timescale for our response with you. We will issue our response to the complaint once the answer to the complaint is known and, if relevant, a resolution agreed with you. There may be actions, e.g. a repair, that are agreed as part of the complaint resolution which will be completed after the complaint is closed. We will of course keep in touch until any agreed actions are completed.

Stage 2: If you're dissatisfied with our response at Stage 1, you can request that your complaint is escalated to Stage 2 for review.

Requests to escalate should be submitted within 10 working days of the date of the stage 1 response. In exceptional circumstances, the Assistant Director of Customer Experience may agree escalation outside this timescale.

If your complaint isn't escalated, we'll write to you to tell you why and provide details of the Housing Ombudsman Service, who you may wish to contact for further advice.

If your complaint is accepted at Stage 2, the case will be allocated to a manager from our Stage 2 panel to investigate. We will escalate and acknowledge stage 2 complaints within 5 working days of receipt of the request.

At the point you request escalation it is helpful if you provide the reason you remain unhappy, the stage 2 handler will also discuss this with you. Please note that the reasons for escalation should relate to the original content of the complaint. If the reasons for the request are new unrelated issues, a new complaint will be recorded at Stage 1 and the stage 2 handler will explain this.

We aim to resolve Stage 2 complaints within 20 working days of acknowledging your complaint, but sometimes complex investigations may take longer. In this case we'll let you know, keep you updated and agree a timescale for our response with you.

What we ask of you

At each stage please tell us if you are unhappy with our response and want your complaint to be taken to the next stage. Please do this within 10 working days of receiving our last response. Please include any new information and tell us why you are dissatisfied. If we do not hear from you within 10 days your complaint will be closed.

Housing Ombudsman Service

You can also contact the Ombudsman for their advice

The Ombudsman can give you advice at any stage of the complaints process but won't decide about whether we've handled your complaint properly until you've fully completed our complaints process.

Their contact details are:

Address: Housing Ombudsman Service, PO Box 1484, Unit D, Preston, PR2 0ET

Telephone: 0300 111 3000



The Housing Ombudsman published an update to its Complaint Handling Code in April 2024, setting out good practice that will allow landlords to respond to complaints effectively and fairly.

At the bottom of this page is a link to our current self-assessment against the code. We are continually assessing our complaints process to make sure it's clear, simple, and accessible and helps us to resolve complaints promptly, politely, and fairly. If you have any questions or comments about our complaints process, please let us know.

Read our complaints procedure.

Read our full compensation procedure here, or see this summary of our damp and mould compensation policy

The Housing Ombudsman's complaint handling code.

Town & Country Housing's self-assessment form  against the code.