As a pet-friendly organisation we recognise that having a pet can be very beneficial for individual wellbeing. Pets can contribute towards improving mental health, reducing loneliness and helping maintain a healthy and active lifestyle.

Can I keep a pet in my home?

Yes, all of our residents, including those in independent living schemes, can have a pet, providing their home is suitable for the type of pet they’re considering.

We’re really happy for residents to have a pet and in most cases it shouldn’t be a problem, but we do recommend you speak with us first to make sure. You can read our Pet Policy here.


Things you may wish to consider before getting a pet

There’s lots to think about when getting a pet, from cost to welfare, exercise and  environment.

The RSPCA offers a range of great info, including a calculator to check how much on average an animal costs. And you can find out more about pets and things you need to consider here on their pet advice page.

What pets are not allowed?

  • Animals listed under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976
  • Any endangered species
  • Any hybrid between a domestic and a wild animal
  • Bees
  • Dogs listed under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 (i.e., Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, or Fila Braziliero)
  • Guard dogs
  • Livestock (including horses and cattle)

Request permission

Please use our Pet Application Form if you would like to keep a pet, or additional pets not included in your tenancy agreement.

If you live in an independent living scheme, you can request permission using our Pet Application Form (Independent Living).

Once you have made your application we will arrange a visit to assess your home’s suitability, and we’ll then write to you to confirm the outcome.

When you have a pet you will need to complete a Pet Contract, agreeing to take responsibility for owning your pet.

What should I do if I am concerned about a neighbour’s pet?

You can report pet nuisance by contacting us.

If you are concerned about the wellbeing of the pet, please report it to the RSPCA first. Please inform us after you have made a report.