Working to keep our communities safe

Related Posts

We take anti-social behaviour (ASB) very seriously, and we’ll do all we can to help tackle it. We use a range of preventative measures, early intervention, and legal action to tackle ASB. This includes the full range of tools and powers available to us. We also work closely with other partners such as the police and councils.

What is anti-social behaviour?

ASB can take many forms and has a negative effect on the quality of life for individuals and the community. This can be anything from low-level nuisance to serious criminal behaviour and can include things like:

  • Noise nuisance, such as loud parties, loud TVs and radios
  • Verbal abuse (shouting, arguing and swearing)
  • Environmental issues, such as overfilling bins, dumping rubbish illegally, abandoned vehicles, damaging property and graffiti
  • Drugs and alcohol related behaviour
  • Intimidation and harassment such as threatening behaviour, verbal abuse
  • Violent or physical attacks
  • ‘Hate’ behaviour, directed against members of particular groups because of differences (for example, race or religion).

How should you deal with anti-social behaviour?

Where possible, it’s important that residents try and resolve issues themselves. Where issues can’t be resolved, we will provide support to victims in dealing with ASB.

In some cases, your neighbour might not be aware that what they’re doing is causing a nuisance to you. It’s possible that the issues you’re experiencing can be resolved quickly, through communicating well with your neighbour.

What won’t we usually investigate?

  • A one-off event – unless it involves an element of crime or abuse that has also been reported to the appropriate agency, such as the police.
  • Everyday living noise and use of a property – this includes lights being switched on or off, footsteps, cooking odours, doors closing and opening, use of household appliances, babies crying, people talking, low-level sound from TV/radio.

If you have any concerns around ASB, please speak to us. You can contact us by calling 01892 501480 or by emailing

Concerns for safety

If you’re concerned that you or another person are in immediate danger, please call 999. You can also call the non-emergency number 101 to raise concerns.

If you’re concerned about the welfare of an adult or a child, you can contact us to raise these concerns. You can also contact your Local Authority responsible for safeguarding adults and children or contact the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000.

Report domestic abuse by calling 999 if you think that you or another person are in danger. You can also call us if you’re experiencing domestic abuse, we’ll be able to talk with you about your options. The National Domestic Abuse Helpline offer free and confidential advice, you can call them on 0808 2000 247.

If you’re concerned for the safety or welfare of an animal, please contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 555.

Posted in ,

Related Posts