Fire Safety this Christmas

Related Posts

As we approach the festive season, we wanted to share some fire safety tips to keep you safe in your home.

Please be aware of the following advice during the festive period:

If you decide to have a live tree, remember that they can dry out and become a fire hazard, so make sure you:

  • Keep it well-watered
  • Place it away from heat sources
  • Dispose of it after the festive period (check your council website to find out their tree collection dates).
  • Turn all lights off before you go to bed and whenever you aren’t at home
  • Be careful not to overload sockets with lots of plugs from different strings of lights
  • Don’t let the bulbs touch anything that can easily burn.
  • Put your candles or tea lights in snug-fitting holders on heat resistant surfaces
  • Make sure all candles are completely extinguished before you go to bed or if you go out – never leave lit candles unattended
  • Place candles away from curtains and out of any draughts
  • Make sure there’s more than a meter between your candles or tea lights and any surface above
  • Keep well out of reach of children and pets.
  • Make sure you keep any decorations well away from heaters, lights, candles and fireplaces.
  • Keep communal areas completely clear of items, including decorations
  • Familiarise yourself with the Fire Action Notice for your building so you know what to do in the unlikely event of a fire.

For more information on Fire Safety, you can visit our website.

If you have any questions about any of this advice, you can contact us by emailing or by calling 01892 501480.

Posted in