Are your home contents and personal belongings covered?

Related Posts

With summer approaching you may be going on holiday or having long days out. So, having home contents insurance can provide you with peace of mind; knowing your belongings are covered if any accidents or incidents occur.

As your landlord, we’re responsible for providing building insurance, but we don’t provide cover for your home contents or personal belongings.

Under the terms of your tenancy agreement, you may also be liable for repairs to your home caused by accidental damage.

How could such situations arise?

  • If the neighbour upstairs left the bath running or if they had a burst pipe and the water caused damage to your decorations, or furniture, it would be your responsibility to replace items and redecorate your home
  • If you lose your keys, or if they were stolen, you may have to pay for the cost of replacing the locks
  • If a window was accidentally broken, you may be liable for the replacement cost to the window.

Where can I get cover from?

There’s a whole list of companies who provide home contents insurance. For example, Thistle Tenant Risk is a leading provider of home contents insurance for the social housing sector. It has been providing cover for residents for over 22 years, working with more than 700 housing associations and local authorities.

The National Housing Federation, a trade body for housing associations, have selected Thistle Tenant Risk as their preferred supplier for home contents insurance for social housing residents.

The My Home Contents Scheme

The My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, provided by Thistle Tenant Risk, not only protects you against events that you may be affected by and financially responsible for, but it can also cover your home contents against things like fire, theft, water or malicious damage.

Optional policy extensions are available, and for an additional premium you can include:

  • Extended accidental damage
  • Personal possessions (cover away from the home)
  • Cover for wheelchairs and hearing aids.

Limits and exclusions apply, and you can request a copy of the Policy Wording for more information.

This Scheme was designed for tenants in social housing. It has flexible payment options:

  • Cash (fortnightly or monthly)
  • Direct debit (monthly)
  • Annually.

Interested in finding out more?

If you’re interested in finding out more about Thistle Tenant Risk and their My Home Contents Scheme, or if you would like to get a quote, you can:

  • Call them on 0345 450 7288
  • Visit their website where you can also request someone to call you back.
Posted in